The footprint of the Callaway Epic Max driver is enormous. Plenty of forgiving. Surprisingly positive comments. With a sliding weight and adjustable hosel, it is quite customizable.
For Callaway driver reviews in 2021, Matt Meeker immediately added the Epic Speed [review HERE] to his bag. The squad gets excited when someone like that supports them, so I was curious to see what else Callaway had in store. I started my testing since the Epic Max is advertised as the most forgiving driver in the lineup, something I can surely use early in the season.
When I put the Epic Max driver down, its enormity was the first thing I noticed. The footprint of this driver is among the largest I’ve seen, making the Epic Speed appear diminutive in contrast. Its apparent size is a result of how far it is from front to back. In terms of shape, it has a somewhat shallower face and a little heel weight.
Due to the size of the canvas, Callaway decided to make the sole visually complex. Two of the primary technological aspects are divided by the “Epic Max” branding that runs through the middle of the sole. The four dots that stand for the Jailbreak Speed Frame may be seen close to the face. The sliding weight is located close to the trailing edge.
Despite being very quiet at contact, the Callaway Epic Max driver’s sound produces magnified feedback. Shots that are in the center result in a satisfying “crack.” A weaker, more hollow sound is produced by moving out from the center of the face.
Impact is felt similarly to how it is heard. Pure blows feel powerful and substantial. Your hands will reveal exactly where impact happened if you miss the center.
The Max in Epic Max denotes maximum forgiveness, just like it does with a number of other 2021 drivers. This forgiveness is made possible by the deep center of gravity, the revolutionary Jailbreak Speed Frame, and Callaway’s AI-designed Flash Face. During my tests, the Epic Max exhibited exceptional ball speed on clean strikes and performed a fantastic job of keeping ball speed on mishits. Additionally, it does a better than average job of keeping those errors on the golf field.
Unfortunately, during my testing sessions with the Epic Max driver, I encountered a lot of mishits. Despite my best efforts, I was never able to feel comfortable wearing the Epic Max because of its size and form. I had occasional periods of good contact, but I never attained the confidence to know what my swing would result in. This is an excellent illustration of why we constantly stress exercising. On paper, I should be able to crush the Epic Max. In actuality, the performance suffered since it didn’t meet my own preferences.
The adjustability is one feature that distinguishes the Epic Max driver from the Epic Speed. Both include a hosel that can be adjusted for loft and lie angle, while the Epic Max also has a 16 gram sliding weight. The Epic Max, according to Callaway, has “Draw CG + Adjustable,” which denotes that its default setting is draw biased. I discovered that this was true because I found it much simpler to swing it when the weight was off the heel. This driver intends to turn left with his weight in his heel.
Despite not being to my own liking, the Callaway Epic Max is a very good option for the player who needs forgiveness off the tee. The option to customize the loft, face angle, and CG bias makes this driver worth checking out on demo day.
|Golf Club Flex||Regular|
|Golf Club Loft||10.5 Degrees|
|Shaft Material||IM10 50G|
|Item Weight||50 Grams|
About this item
- Epic MAX uses Artificial Intelligence to engineer a NEW formula for speed in our most forgiving Epic driver ever.
- Epic ball speeds start with our new A.I.-designed Jailbreak Speed Frame. By applying Artificial Intelligence, this new structure improves stability in the horizontal and torsional direction as well.
- Our A.I.-designed Flash Face is specifically engineered to optimize the Jailbreak Speed Frame, promoting fast speeds across a more expansive area.
- Epic MAX creates exceptionally high forgiveness, starting with a lighter, stronger Triaxial Carbon material that saves over 19 grams of weight vs. titanium. Our engineers have redistributed that saved weight to promote high launch and more forgiveness.
- With a 17g sliding rear weight, golfers have extensive adjustability to promote the ball flight that they want to play. Combined with the OptiFit hosel, the Epic MAX provides up to 20 yards of shot shape correction.
Click for pricing
As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.