Longest Drives in PGA History
Hitting the golf ball far is an important aspect of the game of golf, particularly in today’s professional game where distance is becoming increasingly important. Here are a few reasons why hitting the ball far is important:
- Shorter approach shots: If you can hit the ball farther off the tee, you will likely have shorter approach shots into the green. This can give you a significant advantage, as shorter approach shots are generally easier to control and result in more birdie opportunities.
- Playability: Hitting the ball far can also make the game more enjoyable and easier to play. With longer drives, you can often take advantage of shorter holes and avoid hazards, making the course easier to navigate.
- Course setup: Many modern golf courses are being designed with longer and more challenging layouts, which require golfers to hit the ball farther to succeed. Being able to hit the ball far gives you a better chance of competing on these types of courses.
- Professional game: In the professional game, hitting the ball far has become increasingly important. Many of the top golfers in the world, such as Bryson DeChambeau and Dustin Johnson, are known for their long drives and use this advantage to compete at the highest level.
However, it’s worth noting that hitting the ball far is not the only important aspect of golf. Accuracy, course management, and short game skills are also crucial to success on the course. Ultimately, a well-rounded game that combines both distance and accuracy is the key to success in golf.
Here are the 10 longest drives in PGA Tour history:
- Mike Austin – 515 yards In 1974, Mike Austin hit a drive that measured 515 yards during the U.S. Senior National Open at the Desert Rose Golf Course in Las Vegas. This drive still stands as the longest drive in PGA Tour history.
- Davis Love III – 476 yards In 2004, Davis Love III hit a 476-yard drive on the 18th hole at the Plantation Course at Kapalua during the Mercedes Championship.
- Dustin Johnson – 463 yards In 2018, Dustin Johnson hit a 463-yard drive on the 12th hole at the Tournament of Champions at Kapalua’s Plantation Course.
- Davis Love III – 457 yards Davis Love III makes the list again with a 457-yard drive at the 2004 season-opening Mercedes Championship at the Plantation Course at Kapalua.
- Hank Kuehne – 454 yards In 2003, Hank Kuehne hit a 454-yard drive on the par-5 18th hole at the 2003 BellSouth Classic at TPC Sugarloaf in Duluth, Georgia.
- Robert Garrigus – 450 yards In 2012, Robert Garrigus hit a 450-yard drive on the 18th hole at the RBC Canadian Open at the Hamilton Golf & Country Club.
- Bubba Watson – 442 yards In 2011, Bubba Watson hit a 442-yard drive on the par-4 10th hole at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions at Kapalua’s Plantation Course.
- Davis Love III – 438 yards Davis Love III appears again with a 438-yard drive at the 2003 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am.
- Hank Kuehne – 438 yards Hank Kuehne makes the list again with a 438-yard drive at the 2002 Greater Milwaukee Open.
- Jason Kokrak – 436 yards In 2019, Jason Kokrak hit a 436-yard drive at the CJ Cup at Nine Bridges in Jeju Island, South Korea.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you